Sunday, November 23, 2008

Eugene McGuinness

“There are songs on the album that just come out quite melancholy like ‘Black And White Movies’, ‘Knock Down Ginger’ and ‘God In Space’, but other times it’ll be The Pogues, or The Kinks. I’d rather be known for being inconsistent and a bit scatty than for pulling the same tricks all the time, so I’ve tried to do a few different things on the album.”

“I was born in London, and grew up in Essex but I went to university in Liverpool. I’m a bit of a three-headed monster; Liverpool, London, Ireland, all of them have influenced me in some way. I find it quite a weird thing to talk about, where someone comes from. It always seems to end up defining a person, and people would instantly associate you with a particular sound or with a particular group of people. I want to try to avoid that.”

eugene mcguinness first interested me in one of those australian distro ads in beat magazine - a fellow from liverpool (the city of love...or at least of my love, the liverpool football club...).

the kid has alot of style, a songwriting talent that belies his years. it's kind of somewhere in between jamie t (only less obnoxious), conor oberst (less mid-western USA) and perhaps a hint of the orchestration and grandeur of beirut.

check out 'moscow state circus' here - http://www.myspace.com/eugenemcguinness85

No comments: